Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Current reading

Doctrine of the knowledge of God was recommended to my by Neville Sandon, one of the consultants at work. I've been really pleased to read it. It's addressing a lot of the questions I've been tossing around in my head for a few years:

  • How do we know God?
  • Where do we start when talking to people about God?
  • Where do we start when developing a framework for our theology?
  • How do we justify our starting points?

Being an engineer I haven't been trained in philosophy (although I hope that college next year will help start to address this) but Frame's argument is that philosophy, and indeed all knowledge, is only a subset of theology - or at least subserviant to it. This is said from the Christian stand point that acknowledges the existence of God and the Bible as His word.

I think I like the book because it acknowledges the divide between Christian and non-Christian thinking but doesn't try to unite them. It takes the fact that God exists as fundamentally changing how we should know things, which means that if we've rejected that as fact, we're starting in a different (and in fact disobedient) position.

Of course, this also feels really awkward and potentially arrogant. I've still a lot of reading to go yet and I see this as a starting point that fits with what I had understood up to this point. From here I'll keep working on my thinking and develop a framework that has been tested by multiple views.

No comments: